Friday, January 27, 2012

Dr. Oz can suck a fat one.

I know this is going to be shocking to some people, but I hate Oprah. Like really hate her. I loathe her. When I see her, I do not think kind thoughts, and anyone that's associated with her I dislike immediately. Which is why when I turned on the TV tonight and saw that Dr. Oz was starting, I gestured for Chris to change the channel. Except .. he wasn't fast enough, and we saw that the topic was about infertility. I motioned for Chris to put the controller down and we began to watch the episode.

Boy, am I regretting it now, because I'm fired up ! I started seeing so much red that I don't think I could even tell you about the second half of the show because I was ranting to Chris and he was trying to calm me down (lol, I did vent to the girls on FT). So the show started and there was woman (I call her the conservative woman) and she's talking about how it's wrong for older women to have children via assisted reproduction and how follicle stimulating drugs cause cancer, etc. and I hate how people in the audience were clapping for her. I don't even know how you can justify it. I don't recall the exact things she said because I got so angry but she said so many things that were not true that made me go, WTF ? I don't even know what her credentials were.

They also had an RE there (Dr. John Jain, if I remember correctly) and he was rather calm and trying to talk to her but she was so adamant that she was right. The people in the audience were, for the most part, asshats. There was this 40-year old woman who was like, "Oh I know that I won't have any issues getting pregnant even though I'm not trying right now because I don't feel 40." I started laughing. I don't even know what that means. It's obvious you haven't tried.

There were some audience members who have gone through multiple IVF sessions (some successful and some not). There was one lady who was talking about how she waited and she's glad because she wouldn't have been a very good mom at 27 and she said, "No man would be a good father at 28." That really annoyed me too. My husband is going to be a great father.

They also talked about donor eggs and the conservative lady (<- that's me being nice and calling her a lady rather than calling her out for the bitch she is, oops) was talking about how children born with sperm donors are empty because they search for their fathers (or something like that).

How can you explain to someone who has never experienced infertility how completely devastating it is ? It's soul numbing and has brought me so much despair, depression and made me feel like such a failure and less than worthy. It's a lonely disease and there have been many days where I felt like I just couldn't go on anymore and would just lay in bed and wanted to die.

I'm not saying that some of the things that they touched on aren't valid. Do I wish I tried to conceive earlier ? Yeah, I do. I would never have guessed myself to be infertile. But life takes you in unexpected directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment